Item durability and damage

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Tarheelz, May 25, 2020.

1. Tarheelz

Tarheelz Member

Achievement Pts:
    I would like to suggest possible changes to improve the quality of life and overall experience.

The whole items have durability, take damage and need to be repaired thing is fine, but it causes some major limitations on a low population server. I agree it's not difficult to repair equipment, but where the major inconvenience comes in is if you are trying o craft some high end gear, especially for a melee character. You have to have very high to max durability. To do that you need a ton of Powder of Fortification to boost the item's durability up. For a single item you can require 20+ powders. You only get them as a 450pt reward for blacksmith turn ins. So to create one item with max durability, you need to do a crazy amount of 450+ point BOD turn ins. It puts melee characters at a huge disadvantage to get going. On a high population server, there may be a market for powders like on live servers so you re able to buy what you need. Here, it takes a large effort and big time commitment just to get what you need for one item.

Item damage and repair was fine on live servers when there was a need to create a market, but on a small shard I think it's really unnecessary.

My suggestions in order of preference would be:
    1. Remove wear and tear damage from items completely. Make everything "indestructible".
    2. Make Powder of Fortification purchasable for gold.
    I cannot foresee any game-breaking consequences with either of these changes.
    • You don't need craftspeople to do repairs - who cares, almost everyone has their own crafters anyway, and does anyone really value and enjoy the time spent repairing or making repair deeds for others?
    • Purchasable powders - you can spend time doing BoD's to get it, or spend time making gold to get them. Choice and convenience does not hurt.
    In a game where everything has a process and some things can take a long time to do, I think that making one of these changes will not have any considerable negative affect and would only serve to make high end crafting more accessible to people as well as making melee builds more accessible to play.

2. tr1age

tr1age Administrator Staff Member

Achievement Pts:
    I don't see an issue with adding powder to the gold vendor. Would be a good sink actually. P.S. Have you tried the bod box? This has changed bods for the better.

3. Tarheelz

Tarheelz Member

Achievement Pts:
    Yeah I use the BOD box. It's amazing for completing large BODs. I'm just taking about getting powder of fort though. The BOD box doesn't help with that process at all. The durability and item damage really puts melee characters at a huge disadvantage.

4. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    I disagree with HUGE disadvantage, but I do agree with making it more accessible via ways that aren't bods. So I will see what a good price would be and add to the gold stone.

5. Tarheelz

Tarheelz Member

Achievement Pts:
    I would call it huge. Durability is not a problem for tamers, casters and a slight problem for archers. If you are a melee character, you need boosted durability otherwise you have to stop what you are doing frequently to repair. Others can go on and on without worrying about it. Melee already have a big disadvantage as it is much much harder to gear them so they can survive which is why the vast majority play tamers, casters or archers. Durability and repairing is really an unnecessary mechanic that the game would be completely fine without. Quality of life boost without really altering the game or era at all.

6. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    To remove durability and repairing would be to rewrite UO. It is ingrained in ever aspect of code. So that is not an option, we did add the powder to the stone however. This helps the economy and the problem!

But I tend to agree with you by the way, as an Animal Crossing player, why a shovel BREAKS blows my mind.

#6 tr1age,
    Last edited: May 29, 2020