What's new

Player Written Guides The Subtle Art of Individualized Armor, a Walkthrough

Trancet

This is a guide to how I craft the armor pieces between my artifacts. This is a more advanced guide that aims to include all options to make the best gear possible, extracting every little thing to maximize results.

For my guide to weapons crafting, see https://uoalive.com/forum/threads/subtles-six-steps-to-sick-weapons.770/

Examples of what is obtainable utilizing this guide:
1642367250715.png

For a more beginner/budget guide, for Sampires specifically, I would recommend Rabid Snipers guide ()

Use this website to plan out what your going to make beforehand (https://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/imbuing/armor) Click "Custom" at the top right next to Exceptional to enable adding properties obtained from runic reforging
Be aware that the weight is often off by a couple points on the Tool vs in game, but I would say its 98%+ accurate.

As an example, we are going to be crafting a gargoyle chest and amulet for my thrower

Our plan during this guide:
Stone Gargish Chest(3% passive lmc) reforged for 4 Dex, imbued with 7 LMC, 8 Mana, 8 Stamina, Resist, and enhanced with whatever best fits our resistance requirements
Stone Gargish Amulet(3% passive lmc) reforged for 4 Dex, imbued with 2 MR, 8 Mana, 8 Stamina, Resist
Use Reinforced armor refinement "of Fortification", which gives +1 max to 3x chosen resistances, of which we will be choosing phys, fire, and energy

Step 1: Decide on Base Armor

-Reference this page for information on the inherent LMC bonus, stamina protection, and base resists for the different armor types (https://www.uoguide.com/Armor)
-Imbuing a resist adds +15 at max on top of base resist, making a high base resist on the armor helpful. Example: Chainmail is able to be imbued with fire resist up to 19 due to base 4 fire resist, but only 16 poison resist
-Gargoyle Amulets do not receive material bonus from special materials, be aware of this when you get to the next step
-Craft armor for which you have Armor Refinements
-On my Sampires, I have found that with Hit Stamina Leech on my weapon, i have no issues sustaining stamina levels to maintain my swing speed breakpoint while wearing non-metal armors
-Conversely, if crafting for your melee character who does not run hit stamina leech, it is recommended to wear metal armor types
For our example we are going to be using stone armor for the 3% inherent LMC to hit our 50% LMC target

Step 2: Calculating resist requirements

-We need to calculate the end-resists we need, and what resists we need from the exceptional bonus on the base items to runic reforge upon
-Basically, we need to get our total of each resist with gear we aren't crafting, minus the resists we have from our planned max resists, (don't forget to take into account any armor refinements)
1642378217469.png

Above is our resists with all our gear equipped minus the 2 slots we are crafting for, chest and amulet
Max resist-Current resist=Needed resists
73-53=20
73-42=31
70-43=27
70-56=14
73-65=8
In our example, the build is wearing 2x medable armor pieces, which of course cant have armor refinements, and the Amulet, which apparently cannot have armor refinements applied, leaving us with only 3 armor refinements
As mentioned previously, our example chest will have reinforced armor refinement "of Fortification", which gives +1 max to 3x chosen resistances, of which we will be choosing phys, fire, and energy, giving us a total with the other gear on the character, of 73 max of those resists

-Exceptionally crafted armor gets 20% bonus resistances applied randomly over the 5 resists
-We need to calculate where the exceptional bonus needs to be for each of our base items we will be runic reforging upon
Armor base resist+Imbued resist+Material bonus=
6+0+4= 10
6+0+4=10
4+15+3= 22
8+0+4= 12
6+0+1= 7
Chest+Verite with fire resist imbued

1+0+0=1
2+15+0=17
2+0+0=2
2+0+0=2
3+0+0=3
Amulet with cold resist imbued (as mentioned previously, does not receive material bonus)

10+1=11
10+17=27
22+2=24
12+2=14
7+ 3=10
Total guaranteed resists from the 2 crafted pieces without exceptional bonus

-Take the Needed resists and subtract our Total guaranteed resists we just calculated to find out exactly what we need from the bonus resistances from being exceptionally crafted

Needed resists-Total resists without exceptional bonus=Total Exceptional resists required (item 1, item 2)
20-11=10 (+5,+4)
31-27=3 (+4,+0)
27-24=3 (+0,+3)
14-14=0 (x,x)
8-10=-2 (x,x)
Cant have 0.5 of a resist, so we start listing out the exact exceptional resistance bonus numbers we would need in (+,+)
We are imbuing Fire Resist and Cold Resist, which will overwrite the exceptional bonus on that item for that resistance, thus the item without the resistance imbued for that type will need to meet the exceptional bonus
We have achieved our poison and energy resist goals without any exceptional bonus, and can be ignored from this point on

-In our example, at most we need only 8 out of the 20 points of bonus resistance from being exceptional. The higher this number, the more difficult the next step will be.

-Now we add the smallest number in the (+,+) back to the base items and get the minimum requirements for keeping a base item for the next step
6+4=10
6+4=10
4 x (We are imbuing this slot on this item, any exceptional bonus would be overwritten)
8 x
6 x
chest

1+4=5
2 x (We are imbuing this slot on this item, any exceptional bonus would be overwritten)
2+3=5
2 x
3 x
amulet

Above we have our final numbers, giving us a template of resists to sort out the base items to keep for runic reforging

Step 3: Mass Crafting for Base items

-Finally we are done theorizing and are now crafting the base item(s) in the base material, meeting the requirements laid out in the previous step
-If you are not runic reforging you only need to craft base items until you get the one you want
-Depending on the difficulty/rarity of the runic reforge you are trying to perform determines how many base items you should keep before moving to the next step
-A tip here would be to craft 1 type of item at a time for step 3 and 4, a piece you choose at the end of Step 4 may have bonus resistances over your minimum requirements, making the next pieces less strict. You can save resources by starting with the cheapest piece to craft.
1642368663038.png

Our bag of amulets each with at least 6 physical, and 4 cold resist, and we will take this bag of base items to step 4 before returning to this step for the chest piece. Gargish Amulets only cost 3 Stone to craft, we waste less resources by starting with this piece

1642370442346.png

In step 4 we chose an amulet with +2 physical resistance over the minimum resist requirement, so we only need 9 physical for these chest pieces

-If you are not Runic Reforging, and have strict resistance requirements, consider using an Anvil of Artifacts to remove the randomness and mass production required

Step 4: Runic Reforging

-A skippable step, is certainly what adds greatly to the overall cost of crafting the item
-We use our Imbuing character with Runic Tools to specifically target properties or intensities unobtainable by Imbuing alone
-For which names to use for specific properties, reference the "Reforging Properties by Name" chart at the bottom of this page (https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/imbuing/runic-reforging/)
-Consistently the easiest property obtained from runic reforging armor has been 5% hit, using the Vicious/of Slaughter, often taking only a couple reforges to create
-On the more difficult side of things, I have spent upwards of 6000 leather and bone to get the exact resistances I required, and reforge the rarer combination of 10 stamina+ 4 Dex
-Almost always have selected Powerful Re-Forging, Grand Artifice, Inspired Artifice
1642368798492.png

for our example pieces, we are going to be using a Shadow Iron mallet and chisel, obtained from carpentry BoDs, using the settings seen above. Animated / of Haste should give us a chance at Dex

-A couple of tips on settings for certain Specific Properties (https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-w...ging/runic-reforging-for-specific-properties/)
-It takes a bit of testing and feel to find which runic tool to use for which mod, I don't have much of exact information here, runic tools which give high intensities often give to many mods making harder, not easier to get exactly what you need
-Beware runic reforging that requires a horned runic kit, it reforges up to 3 mods, often leaving you with 2 mods you didn't want on the item
-The property "Self Repair" disappears as if it never existed once you imbue the first property

1642369617163.png

2 of the 12 reforged items came out as we hoped, 4 dex, this one having the best resistance spread
This amulet has +2 physical resistance over the minimum resist requirement we set previously, so now, going back to step 3 for the chest, our resistance requirements are much lower, making it alot easier to craft

1642370407224.png

Of the reforges seen above, only this one rolled with the property we needed, and will be the 2nd piece we use going forward

Step 5: POWDER POWDER POWDER

1642370710379.png

-Gold stone sells Powder of Fortitude, but check the vendor search to see if someone else is selling it more affordably
-Don't forget enough to 255/255 durability
-Did I mention powder of fortitude? seriously, don't forget this step

Step 6: Imbue

1642376279552.png

-You don't have to have a mod so high it requires special mats for it to still be effective
-Prioritize mods requiring Relic fragments first, then Enchanted Essence, then Magical Residue
-Only the Relic frags/Enchanted Essence/Magical Residue are lost upon failure to imbue
-Don't forget that next to the Trammel New Magincia Moongate, you can exchange 33 Enchanted Essence for 100 Magical Residue
1642376008555.png

good thing failure is only lost magical residue, 22.5% could end up unlucky and take dozens of attempts

Step 7: Enhance
1642376503581.png

-This step is after imbuing so that you can stack the material bonuses on top of the current resists, even imbued resists
-Amulets do not gain from enhancement
-Use Forged Metal of Artifacts, from UO Store
-I would never recommend not using the Forged Metal of Artifacts, but you may be able to get away with 120 blacksmithy holding a +60 ancient smithy hammer, if the item your crafting is affordable enough to replace
1642376475320.png

Step 8: Armor Refinements
1642377126069.png

-For non medable creations only
-Amulets can not have armor refinements applied
-UI Menu is a bit weird, double check before confirming
-https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/armor-refinement/
1642377010305.png

As we planned, we are using Varnish of Fortification to apply +1 max resist to Physical, Fire, and Energy

Step 9: Dye it
1642377516571.png

-Color that thang, make it pop, use a bright and a dark color to really maximize your characters visibility in all situations
1642377487817.png

-UO Store has both Pigments of Tokuno and Haochi's Pigments, but also be sure to check for vendors selling Natural Dye as well
-Don't forget to check the 2x Hue of the Month tubs south of the vendor square

Step 10: Insure it
1642377720594.png

-Would suck to lose it after all this work

Finished !
Big Thanks to Schuyler Bain for the Granite, and much thanks to Vause for the Fungi when I ran out.

-If you have any additions to the guide, or find inaccuracies, hit me up in Discord @Subtle / Trancet (Chris)

Attachments

• 1642366955965.png
    1642366955965.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 1642367074520.png
    1642367074520.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 1642368407510.png
    1642368407510.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1642375133517.png
    1642375133517.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 122
Thank God. I've never really messed with imbuing and my brain runs in circles trying to figure out how to make the best out of gear. Thanks!! Also, a very helpful thing I have used over the years is CEO's suitbuilder script for EasyUO. It will let you search containers and build a suit from those containers. Highly configurable too. Saves a LOT of time especially building resist suits etc.

Last edited: