“A Living Breathing World”
Our new Ultima Online Server is LIVE!
Another Private Server… yay…. *half hazzard party blower sound*
What makes UOAlive different? Well let’s focus less on gameplay for one second and more on atmosphere.
Ultima Online is a wonderful sandbox game, but for some reason it attracts the worst of the worst internet anonymity trolls who even though are majority in their 30’s and 40’s now get transported back to Highschool antics. What UOAlive will NOT be is a place where people can just be the “Bully”. We have run a community for over 10 years and in those years we have learned a lot, good and bad, but ultimately, it now moderates itself. There are homosexual people debating with hardcore Christians and right wings with left, all with respect for each other as humans. Why? Because in the end we are all unified by one overarching theme: We LOVE gaming. And what do we want to do after a long day of work? Not bitch and moan or discord pvp to make the long work day longer and an environment that is toxic. We want to game with one another. We want people to take responsibility for themselves, put egos aside, and use the game as the escape. This game allows you to be so many different things, let your imagination run wild!
So that is our opening, we will point in the direction of a mature server, until the server itself goes that direction, moderating itself from there, trying to weed out Shard hoppers, discord pvpers, homophobes, and people who half the time don’t even understand the words coming out of their mouth.
Does it sound restrictive and against your first amendment rights? Maybe. But if you are using in game mechanics and playing UO for what it is meant to be, a free form open world MMO Sandbox, then you won’t ever have to worry about it. Your time will be spent in game bettering your experience and characters, not bitching everytime you get PK’d or don’t like how a battle panned out on a forum or chat service.
That is what we aim for and that is what we will encourage. Will this post bring trolls, most likely, but they will be weeded out quick, you bet.
With that, let’s get into this server and what makes it awesome:
A living breathing world
- This equates to active events, interactive NPCS, passive conversations and activities in the world to make you believe you aren’t alone. All this combined makes for an immersive experience. This game has so much potential in this area that is not often tapped into, but just the other day I was walking around the server checking on a few things and @Maskulator our developer had created a new NPC and I heard singing and got totally distracted and had to take a moment off the normal path I traveled to go see what was going on! It was awesome. Combine that with a capable and active staff, and we think you have a truly living, breathing, world!
Why Age of Shadows?
- Age of Shadows was the golden era for PvP and PvE. It balanced things in a way that UO was never able to do. Why? Because it allowed for many hybrid builds and incorporated that Diablo Esque stat system so you always felt as though there was something you could get that was better than what you had. It kept things fresh and new as the game aged. Sure they did some stuff wrong and we have removed or modified a lot of it. Not only that but in today's age of gaming, this kind of customization can go a long way to keeping a community entertained. Sure the other Era’s before were great and we all love to get that Nostalgia feeling back, but after playing other extremely successful games, that showed us there could be so much more, but lacked the sandbox features UO has at it’s core, how can we not want to keep quality of life features, while improving on such a feature rich game? We don’t want to take away from or discount players experiences after UO, we can’t, it just wouldn’t be fun! We want to keep the momentum going forward! We feel this is the best way to keep the old school players and players new to Ultima Online engaged in the limitless world that is Ultima Online. That is why we believe Age of Shadows is the perfect blend to base our server off of.
- We have a very good skill gain system, it encourages you to go out in the world to gain skills rather than macro in your house, actually you can’t, skillgain in houses is turned off. But dungeons are increased by a huge factor. Not only that but there are mini bosses in dungeons and around the world to help you gear up quickly and rely less on vendors in a town.
A Community that encourages each other
- It is important to us to create a safe place to come unwind and play after a long day of work. We have a Zero Tolerance policy for whatever semblance of internet anonymity you are grasping onto that makes you become a bully beyond gameplay mechanics.
But most importantly...
- Come check it out for yourself. It isn’t about making everything NEW but making those Quality of Life tweaks and keeping the world exciting, while continuing to move the game forward. This is afterall a sandbox MMO, time for less hand holding and more server wide events run by YOU the players. We give you the tools, you make the experience what you want it to be. (and if we can we will give you more tools if your ideas are beneficial to the server).
We hope you enjoy your stay at UOAlive.com and we can’t wait to see you, and we can’t stress this enough, IN GAME!
We want to thank everyone who has been so supportive during this process. The wonderful minds at ServUO.com, Abigor from An Corp, and everyone else who was so pleasant to brainstorm with. It was much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you all on UOAlive!